Thursday, June 4, 2015

Navigating Grocery List to Genre

Couple weeks ago, I was still confusing about the definition of genre. I always think it is a really big word that you could not simply define it. However, after reading Navigating Genres, I realized everything we know in our daily life is all under different genres.            


Writing requires response. I highly agree with this point as I read to the paragraph which talks about how Bitzer thought about writing. In his opinion, someone must create the first response when a new thing is being created. This makes me think about the truly purpose of every kind of writing is to get a respond. It also solves the question of why certain books could be sold in millions of prints and in different translation, like the Kite Runner.  "Different grocery stores make for different grocery lists", Devitt points out. This is so true when I go to Trader Joes I buy all those organic vegetables and healthy food. But when you go to Vons, you tend to buy nice wines and drinks. ( I never bought them, just for reference here.) Every grocery store is like a big genre, you could find a certain things there and they are also targeted to a particular people.                     


Making decision of what to write is like making grocery lists for each of the stores. At the end of the day, you pay what you get and you get what you pay. In the or their words, if you are writing in properly genre to a targeted audience, you will get you expected response from them.            


 I am still trying to experience more genres writing as well as identify the genres in my daily life. Being aware of different kinds of genres and how it composes is certainly more essential then learning how to write particular genres. I guess I know how to make a "grocery list" now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment